With goaltender Evgeni Nabokov officially signed to a one-year, $570,000 (pro-rated) contract offer (with No Movement Clause) from the Red Wings, he begins his journey along the waiver wire: a 24-hour period where none of us will know his fate, and can only speculate as to which NHL team he’ll become property of on Saturday at noon.
The waiver order is determined by teams’ records at the time at which the waiver offer is placed (meaning, today at noon). The percentage of points earned to games played is used, since not every team has played the same number of games. Below you’ll find the waiver priority list as of today — the team at the top has first dibs, the second has second dibs, and so on.
At the end of the 24-hour period, the League will collect all of the teams that have made a claim (if any), and the team nearest the top of the list gets the player.
Also listed are each teams’ goaltending situations and cap space — just so we can argue who fits where and why. Let the baseless speculation continue! And don’t forget to place your Nabokov-related pledges!
1. New Jersey (Brodeur – NTC, Hedberg – NTC; no cap space; $1.17M LTIR space)
2. Edmonton (Khabibulin, Dubnyk; $12.6M cap space)
3. Islanders (DiPietro, Poulin, Lawson; $18.5M)
4. Ottawa (Leclaire – inj, Elliot, Mike Brodeur; $435k)
5. Toronto (Giguere – NTC, Gustavsson; $3.5M)
6. Calgary (Kiprusoff – NMC, Karlsson; no cap space; $450k LTIR space)
7. Buffalo (Miller – NTC, Lalime; $4.3M)
8. Florida (Vokoun – NMC, Clemmensen; $8.8M)
9. Los Angeles (Quick, Bernier; $4.1M)
10. Columbus (Mason, Garon; $5.3M)
11. Atlanta (Mason – inj, Pavelec; $18M)
12. San Jose (Niemi, Niittymaki – inj; no cap space; $580k LTIR space)
13. Carolina (Ward – NTC, Peters; $9.6M)
14. St. Louis (Halak, Conklin; $12.6M)
15. Anaheim (Hiller, McElhinney; $3.6M)
16. Minnesota (Backstrom, Harding – inj, Theodore; $1M)
17. Chicago (Turco – NMC, Crawford; $327k)
18. Colorado (Anderson, Budaj; $17M)
19. Rangers (Lunqvist, Biron; $1.8M)
20. Phoenix (Bryzgalov, Labarbera; $8.6M)
21. Montreal (Price, Auld; $1M LTIR space)
22. Nashville (Rinne, Lindback; $8.9M)
23. Washington (Varlamov – inj, Neuvirth – inj, Holtby; $982k)
24. Boston (Thomas – NMC, Rask; $377k)
25. Tampa Bay (Smith, Roloson, Ellis; $10M)
26. Pittsburgh (Fleury – NMC, Johnson; $103k LTIR space)
27. Dallas (Lehtonen, Raycroft; $7M)
28. Vancouver (Luongo – NTC, Schneider; $197k LTIR space)
29. Philadelphia (Bobrovsky, Boucher; $394k; $832k LTIR space)
Just for giggles, the Red Wings would be between Dallas and Vancouver if another team were waiving a player.
It’s fair to cross off many of those teams, either because their goaltending situation is solidified or because they don’t have the cap room to make a claim. Below is who I’m thinking has a legit chance of claiming Nabokov. What do you think?
9. Los Angeles
12. San Jose (God, that’d be awesome)