WHAT’S ALL THIS THEN?
Wings and Kings, 7:30pm Wednesday. They’ll fight the snow and non-Lions NFL traffic to make it happen.
WHAT’S THE BIG IDEA?
Buried in this article, allegedly about Datsyuk and Zetterberg, Ansar Khan relays an interesting quote from Mike Babcock, wherein he says Jiri Hudler needs to earn his way out of the healthy scratch rotation, which is now four men deep (Miller, Eaves, Draper, Scuttlebutt). It’d be easy to argue that Miller and Eaves have already played their way out of that rotation, but they’re still mentioned as part of it, likely because of their contracts in comparison to bigger money guys like Hudler.
NOW WHERE WERE WE?
Just last Saturday, the Wings dropped an overtime decision to the Kings, but Brad Stuart was throwing weight like whoa. The game began an unimpressive three-game skid, but the Wings look to have righted the ship.
OH, HI AGAIN / MEMBA ME?! / BEST NAME NOMINEE
The aforementioned Stewie is the only player on either roster to have spent time on the other. And Jonathan Quick is a killer name.
THEIR LAST GAMES
:: Detroit thoroughly dismantled the Devils, 4-1, on Saturday night.
:: Los Angeles lost to Minnesota in overtime, 3-2, also on Saturday night.
By special request, the TPL Glossary is ready to jailsex your eyes:
Zetterberg — Datsyuk — Homer
Thunderchief — Flip — Mulo
Buckets — Gator — Scuttles
Miller — Helm — Eaves
Lidstrom — Stuart
Rafalski — Ericsson
Kronwall — Ruslan “One Horse Open” Salei (h/t @vtucherov)
Jakub “Like a Work Placement?” Kindl [in Grand Rapids]
Kris “Not Exactly” Draper
Mike “I Think I’ll Sit This One Out on This Level, Boys” Modano [wrist]
Todd “I’d Hate to See You Outta Control” Bertuzzi
Todd “Paradox” Bertuzzi
Todd “It’s Not Strictly Speaking… Legal” Bertuzzi
Jiri “You Mustn’t Be Afraid to Dream a Little Bigger, Darling” Hudler
*If there are any that you think I missed, throw them in the comments — the best one will be shared for all to enjoy on the TPL Facebook Page*
THE FIVE HOLE
1. After Chris Osgood earned his 399th career win, Jimmy Howard returns to the net to face the Kings. Along with Patrick Eaves (in for Kris Draper), only slight roster tweaks have been made since the overtime loss to the Kings last weekend.
2. I’m feelin’ curly tonight…
3. Let me plant this idea in your subconscious: Darren Helm scores on a breakaway. Tonight. He saw the robot devil drawing from @stevieroxelle and he’s none too pleased. I bet.
4. Jiri Hudler comes back in… and that will make some people angry. I’m certain it will come up tomorrow, when we’re taping the new TP:60, but I feel like that conversation has jumped the shark, and everyone’s made up their minds about him at this point. No matter which side of the fence you’re on, we can all agree that he needs to do something, like three weeks ago, to get going. It’s getting old, Scuttles.
5. Seriously. Watch Inception.
WHAT WE LEARNED AGAINST THE DEVILS
We, too, can score goals in the opening minute.
KING WE COVET (JJ Special)
Anyone that answers “Ryan Smyth” is an asshole. And I know everyone would love to lean toward Jack Johnson because of his Ann Arbor ties, but I feel like he’s a penis. I’m going to go off the board and pick Wayne Simmonds.