Mar 16 :: He who has the most is he who won the match

WHAT’S ALL THIS THEN?
We’ve got a nice little hockey game this evening between two very dynamic clubs. While 70% of this past weekend’s attendees are stricken with some sort of H2N2 flu, and the remaining 30% are still hungover, we’ll be treated to a nifty display of hockey excellence as the Red Wings host the high-flying Washington Capitals at 7:30pm. We’ve made some great friends with some excellent Caps blogs, so be sure to check in on Puck Buddys and On Frozen Blog from time to time.

NOW WHERE WERE WE?
Seeing as how the Caps are in the L’East, we don’t get to see them much. This is the only matchup of 2010-11, but we were graced with them twice last season, with the home team winning each game. The more recent game was January 19, 2010 —  a 3-2 loss with Chris Osgood – who bitched his whole way into the game –  in net, which bore this classic TPL debate.

BEST NAME NOMINEE
In a team full of incredible names (Eric Fehr, Boyd Gordon, Braden Holtby, DJ King, Brooks Laich), I’m forced to go with the guy that sounds like he came from a Michael Crichton novel: Jason Chimera.

THEIR LAST GAMES
:: Detroit beat St. Louis 5-3 on Saturday, as everyone was saying their H2H2 goodbyes.
:: Washington played last night, dropping a 4-2 winner on Montreal.

EXPECTED LINEUP
By special request, the TPL Glossary is ready to jailsex your eyes.
Franzen — Datsyuk — Holmstrom
Cleary — Zetterberg — Bertuzzi
Filppula — Modano — Abdelkader
Hudler — Helm — Draper

Lidstrom — Ericsson
Kronwall — Stuart
Kindl — Rafalski

Howard
MacDonald
Osgood

Holy Shit, There are Scratches?!
Drew Miller [rotation]
Patrick Eaves [personal day]
Ruslan Salei [baby daddy time]

The TPL Name Game “Three Stars”
Note: TPL doesn’t like to repeat nickname themes — aside from Whitney Houston, which ABSOLUTELY works when the Red Wings need a big win. But one of the best ones we’ve ever had needs a repeat today, as we mourn the loss of a legendary musician.
Disch: Jiri “Pimpin’, Chillin’ with Bitches Drinkin’ Silver Satin” Hudler
Petrella: Jonathan “Times are Different Now, But You Still Get Stuck, I’m Not a Kid No More, I Just Don’t Give a Fuck” Ericsson
Hollis: Nicklas “I Want You to Understand That I Can Never Be Beat” Lidstrom
*Now it’s up to you! Think up your best names and throw them in the comments — the best one will be shared for all to enjoy on the TPL Facebook Page. The best of the best will be pitted against one another at season’s end, and the winner takes home a TPL Shirt of their choice.*

TIDBITS
:: Brian Rafalski returns to the lineup after missing eight games, and he’ll be a welcome addition to the blue line.
:: Jakub Kindl remains in the lineup since Ruslan Salei is in California to be with his overdue wife, as they’re expecting their third daughter.
:: Jonathan Ericsson on the top pair with Nick Lidstrom? Let’s see where this goes.
:: Patrick Eaves has been cleared to play but will not make his return tonight. Might be inserted into the lineup for tomorrow’s game against Columbus. Presumably both Kris Draper and Drew Miller will become scratches when everyone’s at full strength.
:: Speaking of which, this is the second game in a row that Drew Miller is scratched. Interesting…
:: Chris Osgood will be manning the clip board after 27 games on the shelf following groin surgery. Welcome back. Don’t fuck it up.
:: SCRATCH THAT… we weren’t even published yet and Chris Osgood reported some “soreness” and Joey MacDonald was recalled.
:: PREDICTION — Wings 3, Capitals 2. I like both of these teams, but am hopeful that the Wings are riding a bit of a high following two emotional wins against non-playoff teams, and that they use their matchup against a quality Capitals team to turn on the jets.

WHAT WE LEARNED AGAINST THE BLUES
Darren Helm may have found some hands.

2 thoughts on “Mar 16 :: He who has the most is he who won the match”

  1. I like swapping Hudler and Abby. The Hudler-Modano combination has been tried twice and it’s been consistently terrible. Abby can provide some hard fore-checking for the third line and Hudler can add some scoring touch for the fourth (not that they haven’t been getting their goals lately).

  2. Just so this is chronicled somewhere..

    Brendan “Is that looney muthafucka that they call Kurupt, Ballin’ out the house with some Gin in his cup” Smith

Comments are closed.