WHAT’S ALL THIS THEN?
Yotes visit Detroit this time — 7:30pm in the only time zone that matters. Even when I lived in Chicago, the Central Time Zone seemed worthless. Like a baby brother to the times they talk about on TV. But then it became second nature to subtract an hour from any time that was printed — and sometimes it got to the point where you had to remember WHO was giving you this time. If it was a local publication or station, it was the actual time they said… but if it was a national thing, it wasn’t. Very bizarre feeling, knowing for a FACT that you and everyone like you were very much an after-thought. Like, the party is at 9 o’clock, cool kids. The rest of you can figure it out, ya know, if you want… Anyway, 7:30pm East.
WHAT’S THE BIG IDEA?
The Wings are semi-hot, holding one of the better records in the NHL at the moment. Jimmy Howard, who is one game away from owning the Red Wings record for most consecutive games played without a regulation loss, went down with back spasms today and will not be available for the game. Joey MacDonald was called up to backup Chris Osgood — and Brian Rafalski was placed on short-term IR to make room, roster-spot wise (and Kris Draper was officially placed on long-term IR, creating cap space).
NOW WHERE WERE WE?
This is the second meeting of the young season for these two — the first being October 16th. The Wings were 2-1 winners in the desert, and there was no BizNasty sighting.
OH, HI AGAIN / MEMBA ME?! / BNN
Ray Whitney. Dan Cleary. Oliver Ekman-Larsson.
THEIR LAST GAMES
:: Detroit outlasted Anaheim, winning 5-4 on Saturday.
:: Phoenix took a curb-stomping in Ottawa, of all places, on Tuesday: 5-2.
Zetterberg — Datsyuk — Homer
Bertuzzi — Flapjack — Mulo
Scuttles — Modano — Suitor #1
Suitor #2 — Danger — Miller
Lidstrom — Stuart
Potter — Janik At the Disco
Amazon — Cirque du Salei
Scratches [nickname idea courtesy of @Wings3_26_97 and made with help from the Porn Star Name Generator]
Justin “Buck Darkholder” Abdelkader
Kris “Sir Slapshot” Draper [groin]
Jonathan “Sinn” Ericsson [back]
Brian “Doctor Nekkid, DDS” Rafalski [knee]
James “Javier Spreadum” Howard [back]
Todd “Buster Hump” Bertuzzi
Nicklas “Sir Phukzalot” Lidstrom
Dan “Orel Banger” Cleary
Patrick “Don Quickie” Eaves
Brad “Corporal Sticky” Stuart
Jiri “Lexx Jammer” Hudler
Christopher “Ronn Spankadocious” Osgood
Henrik “Spanky Peachybutt” Zetterberg
Darren “Gunnar Tang” Helm
Niklas “Orel Nutt” Kronwall
Johan “Sir Hardon” Franzen
Tomas “Mister Muffmuncher” Holmstrom
Darren “Ricky Cucumber” McCarty
Kirk “Doctor Rugmuncher” Maltby
Andreas “Dick Pantsmaster, Esquire” Lilja
Jason “Sir Jiggles” Williams
THE FIVE HOLE
1. Microscope firmly placed on Osgood, with news of the late scratch of Jimmy Howard. It’s a Wings World divided on his, and a good outing would go a long way. The team should be well-rested and they’re playing their A-team, for the most part, so Ozzie should have sufficient support in his return to the crease.
2. Ericsson should be ready to return next week-ish, which will mark the end of the Janik Era. Here’s a tissue.
3. The third line was put on notice by Uncle Mike — so expect to see some fireworks from them, in an effort to remain in the lineup. I doubt that Cleary’s in danger of losing a spot, but a lot was expected of Scuttles and Mike Modano is taking some time getting adjusted.
4. The top six look pretty nifty. If they keep up the scoring pace, with occasional contributions from secondary scoring on the lower ranks and strong defense led by a hotshot goaltender… we may have stumbled across a formula for winning hockey games. Novel idea, that.
5. BUY SOME SHIRTS! I gotta see if there’s a way to offer $1 off the Shirtuzzi if he scores…
WHAT WE LEARNED AGAINST THE DUCKS
Sniffle, Teemu has a boo boo. And it’s on his vagina.