I wish I knew how to quit you!
It’s been three full days since the embarrassment of getting waxed on Stevie’s night, so hopefully the boys have had their asses thoroughly kicked by Uncle Mike. The Red Wings currently sit in ELEVENTH in the Conference – which is unfathomable for us spoiled fans. The Blue Jackets are co-leaders of the Central Division, with 20 points in 16 games, and at the risk of sounding like the chief officer of the Department of Redundancy Department,
this is a big one…one we really need to win.
Bertuzzi — Datsyuk — Holmstrom
Leino — Zetterberg — Cleary
May — Abdelkader — Maltby
1. Oh joy! Jimmy Howard. This should be fun.
2. What’s it going to take to break up the BRUTAL third pairing of Lebda and Ericsson?
3. If Ville Leino can’t find his confidence playing with Z and Cleary, it may be time for something drastic.
4. Here’s hoping Patrick Eaves’ foot is okay after blocking a shot, and that third line is the best on the ice. Again.
5. It’s a good time for young guys like Justin Abdelkader and Darren Helm to start lighting the lamp. I’m aware that this isn’t their primary objective at this point in their careers, but with all these injuries, it’d be nice to know we can rely on the future.
WHAT WE LEARNED vs. the Maple Leafs
A few things: first, we shouldn’t have gotten too excited about back-to-back efforts from Chris Osgood. The version we’ve gotten used to the last two years is back, baby!
Next, Mike Babcock would rather play me on the power play than Jonathan Ericsson. Kyle goes into it a bit more than I’m going to, but here’s the gist: Ericsson has a 100mph shot from the point. Brad Stuart does not.
Jason Williams’ injury was pretty unfortunate. Looks like it hurt quite a bit. Yet, even though our forwards are dropping like flies, we haven’t made a call-up all season (aside from Abdelkader). If this game is another loss, I can’t fathom how you WOULDN’T shake up the roster, even just a little bit.
Rick Nash. Mostly so he stops scoring hat tricks against us.
Photo Credit: Joe Sargent, Getty Images