Quick and dirty today…
WHAT’S ALL THIS THEN?
The Wings and Jackets finish their home-and-home, with a 5:00pm matinée at the Joe.
WHAT’S THE BIG IDEA?
With the win on Friday evening, Detroit sits pretty atop the Western Conference standings, but Columbus is only two points behind (and an extra game played).
NOW WHERE WERE WE?
Literally less than 48 hours ago, the Wings were 2-1 winners on the strength of goals from the Mule and the Flapjack. Mike Modano was lost to a wrist laceration.
OH, HI AGAIN
There are no former Wings in Columbus…
…just like there are no former Jackets in Detroit.
BEST NAME NOMINEE
Wait, “Rusty” is a nickname for people named Ruslan AND Rostislov? Seems like cheating to me.
THEIR LAST GAMES
:: Detroit 2 – 1 Columbus, Friday.
Zetterberg — Datsyuk — Holmstrom
Thunderchief — Filppula — Franzen
Cleary — Abdelkader — Scuttles
Eaves — Helm — Miller
Lidstrom — Stuart
Rafalski — Rigbox
Potter — Cirque
Kris Draper [groin]
Chris Osgood [groin]
Mike Modano [wrist]
THE FIVE HOLE
1. I think the most important thing to look at today will be how Jiri Hudler (and, to a lesser extent, Patrick Eaves and Drew Miller) plays. Will he feel more confident knowing that, because of Modano’s injury, he’s in the lineup for the foreseeable future? Or will he coast knowing that he’s in the lineup for the foreseeable future?
2. Jimmy Howard played very strong on Friday. Can the Wings expect the Jackets to only score once again? Also, I haven’t heard if he’s definitely starting again today, but if MacDonald gets the call — Hancock will have nailed it on TP:60.
3. Remember when Dan Cleary was unstoppable? Then I put him in my fantasy lineup.
4. Despite having played better recently, Todd Bertuzzi proved ONCE AGAIN he doesn’t belong on the ice in the final minute of the game when the other team has their goaltender pulled. He got schooled when he was flopping around trying to clear the zone… which he failed miserably. Several times.
5. Is anyone else still eating mashed potatoes and pie from a few days ago? How long does that stuff last?
WHAT WE LEARNED AGAINST THE BLUE JACKETS