Anyone else think Billy Joel looks like Jean Reno?
WHAT’S ALL THIS THEN?
The Wings start the fire. 9:30 on a Monday. Doesn’t exactly have the same ring to it as nine o’clock on a Saturday.
Each goal tonight is worth at least $20.90.
A win is worth at least $79.20.
WHAT’S THE BIG IDEA?
1. Holy balls, the Red Wings are in control of their destiny again. Just like last time they played the Flames.
2. There are a few days off between tonight’s game and Friday’s tilt against the Oilers, so everyone should go balls out.
3. Not only would a win tonight put some breathing room between 8th (Detroit) and 9th (Calgary), the two points would bridge the gap between 8th and 7th (Nashville). The Predators have played one more game than the Wings, but sit three points above them in the standings. And just for parallelism, “balls.”
NOW WHERE WERE WE?
Tonight’s game is a rematch of last Tuesday. That game was at the Joe, but the Flames won, taking over the final playoff spot – albeit momentarily. Final score was 4-2, including an empty netter. Datsyuk and Holmstrom were your goal scorers, and a paltry $67.32 was raised for the kids. But we were treated to some Latin hotness, which is TPL’s consolation prize to the universe.
OH, HI AGAIN / MEMBA ME?! / BEST NAME NOMINEE
:: No former Wings.
:: Bertuzzi flamed out in Calgary after a single season (TREND!), Brad Stuart spent 27 games as a Flame, and assistant coach Brad McCrimmon was behind their bench for three years.
:: Jarome Arthur-Leigh Adekunle Tig Junior Elvis Iginla.
THEIR LAST GAMES
–Detroit beat Buffalo 3-2, in overtime no less, on Saturday.
–Calgary lost to Vancouver, 3-1, last night.
–Detroit Red Wings :: 33-23-12 (3rd in Central, 8th in West) :: 14-13-7 on the road.
–Lanny MacDonald’s Mustache :: 34-25-9 (3rd in Northwest, 9th in West) :: 17-15-3 at home.
FLAMES SHOULD KNOW
Harry Truman :: Doris Day :: Red China :: Johnny Ray :: South Pacific :: Walter Winchell :: Joe DiMaggio :: Joe McCarthy :: Richard Nixon :: Studebaker :: Television :: North Korea :: South Korea :: Marilyn Monroe :: Rosenbergs :: H-Bomb :: Sugar Ray :: Panmunjon :: Brando :: The King and I :: The Catcher in the Rye
Since none of the beat writers bothered to wake up today, I’m going to assume that the lineup stays the same as the last couple games, although it will likely be announced that Ericsson is back in and Lebda is out as soon as I press Publish Post down there. So… wait for that.
Franzen — Datsyuk — Holmstrom
Filppula — Zetterberg — Cleary
Bertuzzi — Miller — Williams
Draper — Helm — Eaves
Lidstrom — Rafalski
Kronwall — Stuart
Lebda — Lilja
Kirk “Makin’ Love to His Tonic and Gin” Maltby
Chris “Go On and Cry in Your Coffee But Don’t Come Bitchin’ to Me” Osgood
Henrik “Sooner or Later, You’ll Get Your Second Wind” Zetterberg
Todd “I Just May Be the Lunatic You’re Looking For” Bertuzzi
Marian “Tradin’ in his Chevy for a Cadillac-ac-ac-ac-ac” Hossa
1. Seriously… don’t come out like the last Flames game.
2. Hey, Jimmy Howard, with the rebounds. Knock that shit off.
3. Fire lots of rubber at Mmiikkaa Kkiipprruussooff.
4. Perhaps tonight is a good game to start the next “Jarome Iginla hasn’t scored against the Wings in 19 games” thing.
5. Jiri Hudler’s season came to an end this weekend – as his team bowed out in the opening round of the KHL playoffs. Do you know how many times the Wings exited in the first round during your tenure in Detroit, Scuttles? NEVARRR!!!
WHAT WE LEARNED against the Sabres
FLAME WE COVET (JJ Special) SPECIAL VIDEO SELECTION